Friday, December 11, 2009

Holiday Savings in Tough Economic Times

In my book, "A Pocketbook of Hope in Tough Economic Times" I talk a lot about innovation and how during tough economic times we must think differently or innovate in order to remain competitive. This strategy rings true during the holidays when everyone is spending. Although many of us are spending, we could also be savings. Not only should we be finding new innovative ways to stretch our dollars, we should also cut back on some of the unnecessary items in our lives. I use one simple and easy strategy to help me save money during this season, it's called institution, substitution and resolution.

Although Webster's defines institution as an organization, establishment, foundation, society, or the like, devoted to the promotion of a particular cause, as a business woman I see my vast network as an organization and I partner with them to support many of my causes. So why not leverage those relationships to save money over the holidays?

Therefore, step one involves reaching out to your network and asking for help. It is written, that if you ask it shall be given and this is what this strategies does. When I'm looking for a particular deal or something, I ask my network, if they know anyone or any store that has this at an affordable price? You will be amazed what great deals you can find within your network. One friend of mine, who is a stay-at-home mom even started clipping holiday coupons for me, as she clipped hers; thus saving me time and money. Because I could not be in two places at one time, another friend offered to get up early on the day after Thanksgiving to get a Netbook for me that was advertised for only $299.00.

Step two, I look at all of things higher priced things that I buy, as well as to where I purchase them from and I ask myself, "Is there a cheaper substitute?" "Can I get this same merchandise somewhere else for a lower price and if so, will the quality be just as good or at least can I live with the quality?" If so, the next move is to begin the substitution process. For example instead of purchasing an ink cartridge from my local printer who has always done my holiday cards for me, I found that I could save a whopping 38% by shopping at Staples by doing it myself. The cards turned out fabulous. On top of that, when I return my ink cartridges, I save even more money because Staples will send me coupons every month to offset the price of my purchases.

The final step is resolution, I have learned that in order to reach my goals, I must have the resolve to do it. This resolve includes clearly writing my savings goal down. Again, writing down a goal not only makes it real, but also creates accountability and creates a checkpoint. At least two times a month, I look at check book, receipts and savings goals to measure how far I've come to reaching my goal. If I'm still far away from my goal, that usually means that I have to eliminate something. This could include eliminating unnecessary spending items from my budget like instead of going to Starbucks, I brew my own coffee instead.

Some of these measures may seem difficult at first, but in the long run, it's easy to decide whether or not live worry free over the holidays or be filled with worries. I prefer to sit by Christmas tree, sip on egg nog and enjoy the holidays worry free. One way to live worry free in these tough economic times is to stretch your hard earned dollars as far as they can go. This one simple strategy will help you enjoy the holidays worry free and save money.

For additional savings tips, join the discussion on TwitterMoms!


Deals for Busy Moms This Holiday Season
Check out This Week's Deals!

About this TwitterMoms Blogging Program






No comments:

Post a Comment