Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I know, I know, you may be a know-it-all, but...

In life, as well as in the relentless pursuit of a goal, there are knowns and unknowns.

There are some things in this life that we know absolutely for sure, that is called "I know, I know" and other times there are things we know that we don't know. At times we surprise ourselves with what we know, that's called "I don't know, I know". Not too long ago I experienced this in downtown Chicago, when I heard gunshots. I took off running along with the crowd. I was breathless when I finally stopped, I turned around and realized that I ran so fast, I had left the crowd several feet behind me. In this instance, I simply didn't know that I could run so fast. Most of us know this for sure, that there are many things that we know we don't know, unless we are a know-it-all, this is called "I know, I don't know". And sometimes there are just some things we just don't know and we don't even know what they are. Those are times when we are clueless and that state is called, "I don't know, I don't know."

Below is a chart demonstrating our various known and unknown states:

I KNOW! I DONT KNOW
I KNOW! I KNOW

I KNOW I DON'T KNOW
I DON’T KNOW I DON’T KNOW

The things we kown and the things that we don't know are simply no fault of our own. Blaming ourselves for our ignorance or perceived limitations does nothing but block our progress, therefore let it go. Promise yourself, as I will promise myself, that I will begin today identifying what I'm good at and what I'm not so good at. I will identify my strengths, skills, abilities and successes. I will write them down. I will identify those things that challenge me. I will write them down. I will identify the things that I want to learn. I will write them down. I will remember the times when I surprised myself by what I knew and I will write them down.

In order to reach the goals we set for ourselves, we must know where we triumph and where we falter. This process of list building begins us on the path of discovery. It will help us to determine our ability and preparedness for our journey.

The journey and process that we are on right now is like packing a bag. Did you forget you are on a journey? Both you and I are taking one step at a time, together we are reaching our goals. We're going somewhere absolutely fantastic. I'm so anxious there, I wish I could fly, but I won't be. I plan on being successful, so I'm planning for myself and not jumping with blinders on. Ok, ok, ok...I got a little off topic. We're packing our bags now. Well, since we are traveling together, we do need to know what to pack right? We need to identify things that already have. We need to know what things we don't have. We need to know the things we may have to buy or borrow. We may have to hire an expert or instructor to help us on our journey. We might have to take a class or something? I don't know what else may be required to help us on our journey, but we are just making a list right now. I think the list is going to help us figure it all. We're getting ready.

We are starting today.

Happy stepping!

From the Heart of A Princess

No comments:

Post a Comment